Federal Small Communities Fund
- Maximum two applications per municipality
- Funding is 1/3 federal; 1/3 provincial; 1/3 municipal
- Minimum project funding is $50,000 per share or $150,000 in eligible project costs
- Maximum project funding is $3,000,000 for each of the partners
- Applications submitted via email are preferred; however the original signature page must be sent by mail or submitted by fax to 780-422-9133.
As part of the New Building Canada Fund, confirmed in Federal Budget 2014, the Small Communities Fund (SCF) designates $94 million in federal funding to support infrastructure projects in Alberta communities with a population of 100,000 or less. The SCF is focused on supporting local priorities that contribute to economic growth, a cleaner environment and stronger communities. The SCF program continues the tradition of cost-sharing infrastructure investments among the three levels of government: federal, provincial, municipal.
The SCF can be used for infrastructure projects in the following categories: Highways and Major Roads; Public Transit; Disaster Mitigation; Connectivity and Broadband; Innovation; Wastewater; Green Energy; Drinking Water; Solid Waste Management; Brownfield Remediation and Redevelopment; Local and Regional Airport; Short line Rail; and Short Sea Shipping.
Eligible applicants included Alberta municipalities, improvement districts, Metis Settlements and the Townsite of Redwood Meadows. The Small Communities Fund is now closed to applications.
SCF projects were selected based on a competitive process, with submitted applications evaluated against established criteria and projects with the highest ranked scores recommended for funding approval. A list of approved projects is available below.
Material and Resources
- Program Guidelines (includes Project Rating Guide)
- Application Form
- Frequently Asked Questions
- SCF Approved Projects
- Expenditure Claim Statement
- Project Reporting Form
Please note: Although the SCF program guidelines state that signs should be installed for all SCF projects, all federal signage requirements are currently on hold. New guidelines for federal signs are in development and will be made available here, following their release.