Information for Builders

What are my responsibilities?

If you are a builder who intends to construct homes in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB), you must comply with the builder information disclosure requirements.  Information provided will be published in the RMWB Builder Registry as a resource for home owners who are planning to rebuild or build in the RMWB.

What information do I need to provide?

Information is provided to the Government of Alberta in the form of a declaration which must be signed and witnessed by a Commissioner of Oaths.  The declaration includes a statement indicating your understanding of government expectations (e.g., applicable legislation and building codes), and requests details of the following as related to your business:

• residential construction history
• financial indicators
• outstanding fines or orders 

Incomplete or incorrect information could delay or prevent obtaining a building permit.

Will the information I submit be evaluated?

The information provided is subject only to a review for accuracy and completeness. Only completed disclosure documents will be published online. Builders will not be subject to a review against criteria.

If you require assistance completing the form or have questions, please contact the New Home Buyer Protection Office at 1-866-421-6929. A Compliance Officer will assist you.

Do I need to submit the information more than once?

No. You only need to submit the information about your residential construction business once. You would submit a new declaration if there is a change or update to the information originally provided, or if information was missing from the initial declaration.

Do I still need to provide a warranty on reconstructed homes?

Yes. Home warranties which comply with the provisions in the New Home Buyer Protection Act are mandatory.

Where is the form?

Please complete the Residential Builder found below; instructions and definitions are contained within the document.

In order to open the Residential Builder Declaration form, Adobe Reader must be installed on your computer and must be set as the default application for opening PDFs on your computer, as well as in your browser of choice. If you are having difficulty opening the form in a browser, download the PDF to your computer:

  • For Windows OS computer users, the technique is to right-click on the hyperlink. This will open a menu that will present save and/or download options such as “Save Target As”.
  • For Apple OS computer users working with a one-button mouse, the technique is to hold down the CTRL key while clicking the link. This will open a menu with save/download options.

Additional information about opening PDFs in a browser can be found here.

If you have questions please contact the New home Buyer Protection office at 1-866-421-6929 or email at

How do I submit the information?

Completed forms must be printed and then signed by a Commissioner of Oaths. The original signed documents must be sent to the address below. Photocopies or scanned documents are not acceptable.

Please submit the original, signed documents to the following address:

New Home Buyer Protection Office
Alberta Municipal Affairs
16 Floor Commerce Place
10155 – 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta   T5J 4L4

  • Date modified: 2016-10-18