The Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) is hosting its third annual symposium, and the topic for 2017 is Public Library Services for Indigenous Communities. The symposium will be held at the Matrix Hotel (10640 - 100 Avenue, Edmonton).
Please note that Richard Wagamese is not able to attend the symposium. In his place we have Aaron Paquette, author of the best-selling, award-winning novel Lightfinder. He is also an illustrator, goldsmith and cathedral stained-glass artist.
Registration opens - Meet and greet - Cash bar
Author Talk with Aaron Paquette
You may want to bring a pen and paper. Topics to be covered during the course of the symposium include:
Thursday, February 23, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Where we are, how we got here:
- Opening keynote by Aaron Paquette
- Introduction to Indigenous issues
- Canadian Federation of Library Associations’ Truth & Reconciliation Commission Committee Update and Municipal Affairs United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples response
- Alberta Public Library Survey Results
- Creating Welcoming Inclusive Spaces in the Public Library
- Library service delivery at Kainai Public Library, Blood Reserve
Friday, February 24, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. – Future directions:
- Effects of trauma
- Working in Relationship with Indigenous Peoples
- Lightning rounds by Alberta libraries
- Post-secondary library initiatives
- Digital initiatives
- PLSB grant recipients reports
Things you should know….
Location and Room Name - including the Wednesday evening event
Matrix Hotel (10640 – 100 Avenue), Edmonton. Quartz Ballroom, second floor.
Start and End Times
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 – 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – registration will be open from 6:00pm to 7:00pm
Thursday, February 23, 2017 – 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – registration will open from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Friday, February 24, 2017 – 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
Food and Beverage
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 – cash bar and appetizers will be available starting at 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, February 23, 2017 – continental breakfast will be available starting at 9:00 a.m. and lunch at 12:30 p.m.
Friday, February 24, 2017 – continental breakfast will be available at 8:15 a.m. and lunch at 12:30 p.m.
Also attached is a map of parking around the Matrix Hotel. Hotel parking lot can fill up quickly.
Parking costs can range between $25 to $35/day depending on where you park.
Temperature of Room
We do our best to keep the room at a comfortable temperature for everyone attending. Please bring a sweater or jacket if needed.
Photos will be taken throughout the symposium. If you don’t want your photograph to be taken please let us know when you register.
Audrey’s Books will be on site selling books related to the topic of the symposium and they will accept credit, debt or cash.
Please be considerate of those attending the event who are scent sensitive.