2018 Public Libraries: We're Only Human Symposium
The Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) in partnership with the Alberta Library Trustees’ Association, is hosting its fourth annual symposium. The topic for 2018 is Public Libraries: We’re Only Human. We are very excited to present this free event as a learning and networking opportunity for trustees and library managers. It comes as a direct response to the numerous requests we’ve heard from the library community across the province.
The symposium will be held on Friday, February 23 and Saturday, February 24, 2018 at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton South (4440 Gateway Blvd, Edmonton).
Please mark your calendar. You do not want to miss this symposium! Be sure to sign up early as only 125 spots are available.
Registration for the symposium will open in December, 2017.
Anticipated topics to be covered during the course of the symposium include:
Friday, February 23, 9:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.:
- Libraries Act
- Employment Standards
- Occupational Health and Safety/Working Alone
- Board and staff relations
- Personnel policies
- Job descriptions and competencies
- Performance appraisals
- And to finish off the day (attendance is optional) bring your questions to a Conversation Cafe (topics: unions, small libraries, ask ALTA a question, ask PLSB a question, library boards with societies, school-housed public libraries)
?Saturday, February 24, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.:
- Minimum wage, salary grids, pay equity
- Library boards contracting for municipality payroll services
- Handling grievances
- Closing address by parliamentarian and board expert, Eli Mina (www.elimina.com)
A full agenda will be available in early 2018.
There will be no charge for attendance at the symposium. A continental breakfast and lunch will be served at no cost on each day. PLSB and ALTA are unable to subsidize travel, accommodation or other related expenses for attendees.
For any questions regarding the symposium please contact Heather Coulson at email@example.com.