How Do I Apply?
Apply to be a host municipality in 2019
The Internship and Education team will be accepting applications from interested municipalities and planning agencies until September 1, 2018.
There will be 15 internship positions for the 2019 program. At this time, the breakdown of these positions are: 5 positions each in the administration-management stream, accounting-finance stream, and the land use planning stream.
As the internship program is supported by provincial grant funding, all applications for host municipalities will be made using the Alberta Community Partnership program. The grant Guidelines and Application Form are now available through the Alberta Community Partnership page.
How to Apply (choose either one):
1. Via Alberta Community Partnership Online (ACPO)
You can apply for the Municipal Internship Program through the ACPO, which enables applications to be submitted online. Learn more about the ACPO by clicking here. Once on the ACPO page, you will find the application form under Current Program Materials (scroll down the page). Applications need only be submitted using ONE method (online using ACPO, email, mail, or fax). You do not need to send a hard copy if you have submitted an electronic application.
Municipalities will need access to MAConnect in order to use the ACPO. If your municipality does not already have access, visit the ACP website for directions on how to request it.
2. Via Email
If you wish to complete the application form and submit it via email, you can link to the form here once it is available (July 2018).
The Application Form is published in a fillable PDF document. Adobe Reader 9.1 or higher is required to view the form. If you get an error when opening the form in Chrome or Firefox, we recommend that you download the forms by right-clicking the link and click "Save Link As". You should be able to open the forms from the saved location. Alternately, you may use Internet Explorer to access the forms.
Selection process for host organizations
- Organizations interested in hosting an intern submit applications for the Alberta Community Partnership grant program [Municipal Internship (MI) component] to the ministry by September 1, 2018.
- A ministry selection panel reviews all applications received and recommends the organizations to be selected. Selection is based on the attributes of the organization as reflected in the application, as well as ensuring a balance of:
- new and repeat hosts;
- geographically dispersed locations;
- large and small municipalities;
- urban and rural centres; and
- regional partnering.
- The list of recommended hosts is sent to the Minister of Municipal Affairs for approval. All applicants will be notified in writing whether or not they have been selected as a host.
- Selected host organizations will also be contacted by Internship Program staff to provide further detail on the Program and administrative requirements.