The most recent General Election occurred on October 16, 2017.
Municipal Elections Results Summary PDF version
Nomination Day was September 18, 2017.
For Summer Villages, the Nomination Period can occur in June and/or July, with Election Day to be held four weeks after the Nomination Period closes. Check with your local summer village for specific dates.
In-person Returning Officer Training was offered in May and June 2017.
If you are a Returning Officer or other municipal election official, please refer to the following:
- Election Procedural Manual
- 2017 Municipal Election Calendar
- Sample Supply Lists
- Sample Forms & Completion Instructions
- Sample Voting Station Layouts
- Elections Database
- Elections Database User Guide
If you are a Returning Officer for a Summer Village, please also refer to the following:
If you are a Prospective Candidate looking for information about running for local office, please refer to the following:
For women running for municipal office, the Alberta government also has some helpful info as well:
If you are intending to run for your local school board, information can be found here.
If you are a Government of Canada employee running as a candidate in a municipal election in Alberta, there are some obligations you should be aware of:
All forms required under the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) for Returning Officers and prospective candidates are available by following the link below.
- Information on Authorized Identification Types
- Voter Identification Requirements
- Right ID - Right to Vote logo (high resolution jpeg file)
Legislation and Regulations
- Roles and Responsibilities of Officials in Local Government
- Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors
- Frequently Asked Questions about Municipal Elections
- Now that You've Been Elected
If you have additional questions, please contact the Municipal Services Branch of Municipal Affairs at 780-427-2225, toll-free in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 first, and ask to speak with a Municipal Advisor who can assist you with your questions or direct you to the appropriate contact.