The next General Election will happen on October 16, 2017.
Nomination Day will be September 18, 2017.
For Summer Villages, the Nomination Period can occur in June and/or July, with Election Day to be held four weeks after the Nomination Period closes. Check with your local summer village for specific dates.
If you are a Returning Officer or other municipal election official, please refer to the following:
- Election Procedural Manual
- 2017 Municipal Election Calendar
- Sample Supply Lists
- Sample Forms & Completion Instructions
- Sample Voting Station Layouts
- Election Database User Guide
If you are a Returning Officer for a Summer Village, please also refer to the following:
If you are a Prospective Candidate looking for information about running for local office, please refer to the following:
If you are intending to run for your local school board, information can be found here.
All forms required under the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) for Returning Officers and prospective candidates are available by following the link below.
All electors are required to show identification which contains proof of identity and current residence in order to vote. Your municipality may have other requirements or accept other types of identification. Please check with your municipality for local requirements.
- Information on Authorized Identification Types
- Voter Identification Requirements
- Right ID - Right to Vote logo (hi-res jpeg file)
Legislation and Regulations
- Roles and Responsibilities of Officials in Local Government
- Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors
- Frequently Asked Questions about Municipal Elections
- Now that You've Been Elected
If you have additional questions, please contact the Municipal Services Branch of Municipal Affairs at 780-427-2225, toll-free in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 first, and ask to speak with a Municipal Advisor who can assist you with your questions or direct you to the appropriate contact.