The next General Election will happen on October 16, 2017.
Nomination Day will be September 18, 2017.
For Summer Villages, the Nomination Period can occur in June and/or July, with Election Day to be held four weeks after the Nomination Period closes. Check with your local summer village for specific dates.
In-person Returning Officer Training was offered in May and June 2017.
If you are a Returning Officer or other municipal election official, please refer to the following:
- Election Procedural Manual
- 2017 Municipal Election Calendar
- Sample Supply Lists
- Sample Forms & Completion Instructions
- Sample Voting Station Layouts
If you are a Returning Officer for a Summer Village, please also refer to the following:
If you are a Prospective Candidate looking for information about running for local office, please refer to the following:
For women running for municipal office, the Alberta government also has some helpful info as well:
If you are intending to run for your local school board, information can be found here.
If you are a Government of Canada employee running as a candidate in a municipal election in Alberta, there are some obligations you should be aware of:
All forms required under the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) for Returning Officers and prospective candidates are available by following the link below.
- Information on Authorized Identification Types
- Voter Identification Requirements
- Right ID - Right to Vote logo (hi-res jpeg file)
Legislation and Regulations
- Roles and Responsibilities of Officials in Local Government
- Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors
- Frequently Asked Questions about Municipal Elections
- Now that You've Been Elected
If you have additional questions, please contact the Municipal Services Branch of Municipal Affairs at 780-427-2225, toll-free in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 first, and ask to speak with a Municipal Advisor who can assist you with your questions or direct you to the appropriate contact.