2017 General Election (October 16, 2017)
Information about the 2017 general election will be posted as it becomes available. Check back soon for updates!
Municipal Election Information and Forms
The 2013 municipal election in Alberta took place on October 21, 2013. The Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) was amended in 2012, with the changes coming into effect for the 2013 municipal election. Changes to the LAEA are reflected in the updated document available at the Queen’s Printer.
- Download Election Forms - 2013
- Information Bulletin 01/14 - Municipal Candidate Disclosure Information
Proper ID is required to vote in municipal elections
All electors are required to show identification which contains proof of identity and current residence in order to vote.
Your municipality may have other requirements or accept other types of identification. Please check with your municipality for local requirements.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Municipal Services Branch of Municipal Affairs at 780-427-2225, toll-free in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 first, and ask to speak with a Municipal Advisor who can assist you with your questions or direct you to the appropriate contact.
Resources for Promoting Awareness of Voter Identification Requirements
The downloadable files provided in this section are for use by returning officers to promote awareness of voter ID requirements for the municipal election.
- Voter Identification Requirements
- Banner Advertisement About New Voter ID Requirements
- Right ID - Right to Vote logo (hi-res jpeg file)
- Municipal Information on Voter ID
- Interpretation Bulletin 01/13 - Local Authorities Election Act Amendment
- Local Authorities Election Act - current to December 10, 2012
- Ministerial Order No. L:011/13 - Voter Identification Bylaw Time Requirements
- Information Bulletin 07/12 - Amendments to the Local Authorities Election Act
- Frequently Asked Questions about Municipal Elections - updated September 27, 2013
- Running for Municipal Office In Alberta - 2013
- Now that You've been Elected - 2013
- Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors - 2013
- Roles and Responsibilities of Officials in Local Government
- Acts and Regulations
- School Board Trustee Elections Information
Election Procedure Manual
- Local Authorities Election Act Introduction and Table of Contents - 2013
- Part I - Election Calendars - 2013
- Part II - Prior to Election Day - 2013
- Part III - On Election Day - 2013
- Part IV - After Election Day - 2013
- Part V - Additional Information - 2013
- Part VI - Regulations, Voting Procedures and Arrangements - 2013
- Part VII - Instructions on How to Fill out Election Forms - 2013
- Appendix A - Downloadable Forms - 2013
- Appendix B - Authorized Voter Identification - updated July 17, 2013
- Appendix C - Elections Database Users Guide - 2013