MGB Mission, Vision, and Goals
M I S S I O N
The Municipal Government Board shall provide timely, independent, quasi-judicial appeal adjudication to all parties in the areas of assessment matters, planning, subdivision appeals, inter-municipal disputes and annexation recommendations, that yields fairness and equity consistent with the authority of the Municipal Government Act.
V I S I O N
The Alberta Municipal Government Board will be a leader among tribunals with a reputation for excellence in adjudication.
All Albertans shall have access to a fair and independent process with strict adherence to the principles of natural justice and in which all individuals are treated fairly and without bias in an open, orderly and impartial manner.
This Vision will be attained by:
- Providing benchmark decisions.
- Advocating excellence and providing guidance in decision making to stakeholders.
- Demonstrating efficiency, effectiveness and timeliness in the appeal process.
- Respecting rights of individuals, businesses, corporations and municipalities.
- Ensuring that all property assessments are equitable, fair and correct in accordance with legislation.
- Striving for consistency and predictability based on evidence presented.
V A L U E S
In service to stakeholders the Municipal Government Board values:
- Our strength through the diversity of our members and the quality of our staff.
- The right to natural justice and timeliness in the adjudication process.
- Respect for and responsiveness to our stakeholders.
- Provision of quality service to stakeholders.
- Consistent interpretation of legislation.
- Commitment to the Code of Ethics and Conduct.
- Organizational alignment and a team approach to problem-solving.
- Innovative use of automated information services.
- Continuous organizational development, self-improvement and self-evaluation.
- Enriched and rewarding work environment which recognizes productivity.
G O A L S
Organizational Effectiveness: The Municipal Government Board will be an effective organization, roles and accountabilities will be clear and understood, and processes and relationships will be purposely aligned.
- Processes: The Municipal Government Board will reflect accessibility, efficient scheduling, timely decisions and fair hearing procedures consistent with the principles of natural justice.
- Quality Decisions: Municipal Government Board decisions will be legislatively correct, well reasoned, consistent with evidence and relevant case law and will be issued on a timely basis.
- Stakeholder Satisfaction: The Municipal Government Board will be proactive and responsive to stakeholder feedback and satisfaction. A stakeholder is defined as all people who have a vested interest in the outcomes of the Municipal Government Board. This would include Board members, staff, and all external parties who come before the MGB, the department and the Minister.
- Budget Plan: The Municipal Government Board budget will reflect the business plan and will provide for effective and efficient use of financial resources to support MGB priorities.