Information for the Rental Industry
Please note: The New Home Buyer Protection office is open Monday to Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:15am to 4:30pm. During closure, the email (HomeWarranty.firstname.lastname@example.org and NHBPS.email@example.com) and phone (1-866-421-6929) will not be monitored.
Under the New Home Buyer Protection Act, multi-family rental properties are eligible for an exemption. This exemption allows a rental developer to build a new rental property without needing to purchase a home warranty policy. However, should a rental property owner choose to sell units to home buyers, including condo conversion, those units will be required to have home warranty protection for the duration of the remaining 10 year protection period (see the FAQs for a detailed explanation). The protection period begins upon first occupancy or when permission to occupy is issued in these instances.
Single family rental properties are not eligible for an exemption.
To apply for an exemption:
- You will need to become an authorized user of the New Home Buyer Protection System Portal. Access to the portal is obtained by submitting a NHBPS Access Request. If you are unable to view the NHBPS Access Request application above, please contact the New Home Buyer Protection Office at NHBPS.firstname.lastname@example.org. Access request applications will be processed in approximately three business days.
- Once access has been obtained apply for a Rental Exemption and submit a $95 application fee. This payment can be done online or by cheque payable to the Government of Alberta.
- Print off form, sign and mail into the New Home Buyer Protection Office along with payment if paying offline.
Applications will be reviewed in 14 business days from the day that Municipal Affairs receives the complete application. Applications are not considered complete until both the form and the fee are received.
In order to have your application evalutated in a timely fashion, the following tips are recommended:
- When mailing the application use registered mail. This will allow you to confirm when your application was received.
- Use a certified cheque as payment. This speeds the payment process and will result in a faster review of an application.